Written By: Nolan Mitcheltree (Fitness and Strengthening Coach)
Before this workout is completed, it is important to remember that abs may not be present if you are not lean enough for them to show through. Rather, the abdominal muscles are going to show better when you chose the correct workouts to target your specific areas of concern and eat healthy meals with lots of fiber, protein and nutrients.
You will find that marketing in the health and wellness world will tell you that their specific product and workouts are the answer to "targeting that stubborn belly fat." However, not everything printed on those labels are what they are made out to be. Therefore, it is also important to make sure you as the client are doing your research on what you are putting in your body and what workouts you are performing to understand how your body is benefiting from them.
Today I will be discussing a 5-minute ab workout with dumbbells that I recommend to my clients to aid them in building more muscle to strengthen their core.
The Format is as follows:
- 3 sets of each execersise (Go at your own pace)
- 10 to 12 reps and seconds of each execersise
- 60 second rests in between each set
* DB Plank Pull Through: Lay flat on the floor with your stomach on the ground. Tug both elbows tight to the body and arms straight out. When you are ready, lift your body off the ground and stay straight. While in the plank position, have a dumbbell off to one side of your body. Reach underneath your body for the dumbbell with the opposite hand of the side the weight is on. Keeping it as straight as possible, pull the dumbbell underneath to the other side. Place it down and repeat with the other arm.
* DB Sit Up: Lying back on the floor, bend both knees at about a 45-degree angle. Keep the dumbbell close to the body and try your best to not use it for momentum coming up. Pull your heels back into the ground slightly to engage the hamstrings; which will ensure proper use of the abdominal muscles and help minimize hip flexor involvement.
* DB Hollow Hold: Lying with your back on the floor, extend both legs up off the floor. At the same time, pick up your shoulders and head off the ground. Hold a dumbbell straight overhead with arms fully extended. Note: the farther the dumbbell is held away from the body overhead, the harder this hold will be.
* DB Side Bend: Hold a dumbbell on one side like a suitcase. Bend towards the weight, being sure to keep the body upright and the torso tight. Once you bend go back to a straight position, not hyperextending towards the not weighted side. Repeat 10-12 reps on each side for maximum results.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this workout or would like to schedule a training session, please contact the office at 724-635-0147 and ask to speak with me.